Thursday, February 11, 2010

Addressing past failures

A question raised during my telephone interview with Kevin Eikenberry (link coming soon) was "how do we address our past failures?" That's set me thinking...

You get what you focus on. So one quick answer would be - DON'T!! If you spend too long addressing your past failures your brain will be focusing on picking out similar situations and might just encourage you to repeat the failure instead of learn from it.

Alternatively you can take a peek at the failure to understand why you brand it as such. Ask yourself "what have I/could I learn from this situation?"; "what opportunities have arisen as a result?"; "what change of direction did I take, and how have I benefited from this?"

Once you have brought out the learning, reframe your "failure" label and replace it with a "lesson" label.

Then decide to focus on what you can do, what successes you have had and how you would like those to be manifested in your future.

Happy reframing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Eikenberry said...

Kate - Thanks for joining us on the call and fr sharing so many great things. This is a great post describing your answer to one of the questions that came up durig the session.

Thanks again!

8:32 am  
Anonymous rshankspurdue said...

Thanks, Kate! Really appreciate that wisdom! -RS

4:35 am  
Anonymous College Term Papers said...

It is glad to see this blog, nice informative blog, Thanks for share this article.I'm very thankful to the author for posting such an amazing development post.

4:13 am  
Anonymous Eschani Taylor said...

Great articles. Good to see more of the positive stuff being spread around. Thanks.

12:29 am  
Blogger Kate Atkin said...

Thanks everyone for your comments - I really appreciate you letting me know not only that someone is reading this blog, but also that what I have written has made a positive impact.

1:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home